No One Said Following Jesus Would be Easy...

I probably shouldn't write things like this, but sometimes transparency can be good eh?

Making the move to Noblesville has been tougher than I thought. The kids are doing well, and I love helping to plan out the worship services. I've made a few new friends, and the Lord has been taking good care of us.

But some days you just want to go back to safe. Safe is a place where you are already known. Where you have already made friends and already have places and spaces that you belong. Safe is sleeping in and then having coffee with Chris or going to a Rocket ballgame or spending 3 hours on a Wednesday morning looking into God's word with friends.

But I know God sent me to this place, to teach me all about being a missionary. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not pretending to be Carlisle Hanna or even Wallace Malone. But slowly I'm starting to get it. Being a missionary is a lifestyle, not a location. And it makes you desperate. I need God's help to make friends. I need God's help to find the poor and hungry and hurting. I need God's help to discern whether to blog or work or pray or sleep.

And I'm more convinced than ever that every disciple of Christ should be a missionary.

I guess I didn't realize how much I would be tempted by "safe." And time and again, the Lord's words break my world apart and cause me to seek his help and his mercy...

Luke 9:57 As they were going along the road, someone said to him, “I will follow you wherever you go.” 58 And Jesus said to him, “Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head.” 59 To another he said, “Follow me.” But he said, “Lord, let me first go and bury my father.” 60 And Jesus said to him, “Leave the dead to bury their own dead. But as for you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God.” 61 Yet another said, “I will follow you, Lord, but let me first say farewell to those at my home.” 62 Jesus said to him, “No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God.”


Lord, help me. Help me resist the lure of "safe." Help me proclaim the Kingdom of God.

P.S.

If you're reading this. I think God wants you to be a missionary too. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music Tuesday - 2 Free Album Giveaways

Just Making Memories or Ear Piercing--The Hard Way.

Making a Move...