More Than You Can Bear



Today was a pretty incredible day.

I was able to meet my new nephew for the first time. He was full of energy! I'm so excited for my brother and his family and I know God is going to do amazing things through them.

A few years back, I remember sitting in a church service after they had lost baby Miles, and I specifically remember the pastor that day encouraging us all NOT to quote this passage to Tyler and his family...

1 Corinthians 10:12 So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don’t fall! 13 No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.
This was the passage in my devotions tonight.  That pastor that day said this passage does NOT mean you'll be able to handle any situation that is thrown your way.  He said that you will encounter things in life that you can't handle and that are way more than you can bear.  But I really don't remember what he said this passage DID mean.

I know there are times in life when we pushed beyond our limits.  But maybe that is precisely the point - they are OUR limits.  These types of circumstances push us to seek strength that is beyond our limitations.

I think what this passage reminds us is that we need to look to Christ whenever we encounter temptation.  Many times the temptation is just to give up or give in.  But I believe the promise is this:
If we will seek Christ in even the most dire of circumstances, he will make a way for us to honor Him even in the midst of agony, distress, discouragement or pain.  You may not be able to bear the pain, but with the help of Christ, you will be able to honor the Lord.

"You make beautiful things out of the dust..."


A good explanation of this passage...
http://www.ronedmondson.com/2009/05/more-than-you-can-bear-my-most-searched-post.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music Tuesday - 2 Free Album Giveaways

Just Making Memories or Ear Piercing--The Hard Way.

Obama, Abortion & Young Evangelicals