Mary Vs. Martha

We had a great time with CTS at the Peace FWB Church in Granite City today. If I get some time later in the week I'll try to post some pictures.

One of the kids' dramas really hit home with me. It was about Mary and Martha. The way it was written, Martha was busy doing all of the social justice things. She was helping with the environment and working at an animal shelter - reading the Bible to dogs. :)

What struck me was Martha was portrayed as the "undiscerning" one because she was choosing to help her community over going to Bible Study and faithfully attending Sunday Morning Church. After all, Mary was wise enough to be at Bible Study and Sunday Services.

What does the scripture say?

Luke 10
38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. 40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!"

41 "Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."


So my question is this...What does Mary look like today? Is she at the Bible Study - or working in the Homeless Shelter? Or some place else altogether? If Mary was here with us today - where would she be spending the majority of her time?

How do you sit at the feet of Jesus?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music Tuesday - 2 Free Album Giveaways

Just Making Memories or Ear Piercing--The Hard Way.

Obama, Abortion & Young Evangelicals