The Powerless Cross.

I know it has been a while since my last post. We were working intensely on hosting this year's Illinois State Association Meeting at our church and it's finally over.

During Dr. Garnett Reid's message on Saturday, one verse that he referenced struck right at my heart. This same verse was also in my devotions for yesterday.

1 Corinthians 1:17 For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with words of eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.


There are two things that stick out to me from reading this verse.

1. I don't have to save, baptize or convert. That's not my job. My job is to witness, to preach and to herald. I don't need to feel guilty about not converting someone or saving someone. I must preach the gospel.

2. I can empty the cross of its power. This is a scary verse to me. Somewhere along the way words can become "eloquent wisdom." Paul didn't have a projector, or a creative team, or Photoshop. But he still feared using an eloquent wisdom when delivering the gospel. He didn't want anything to jeopardize the power of the cross.

Here's my question - When does our preaching cross the line into eloquent wisdom?

How do we promote doing things well without promoting "eloquent wisdom." How do you know if you are rendering the cross powerless?

I'd love your thoughts on this one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music Tuesday - 2 Free Album Giveaways

Just Making Memories or Ear Piercing--The Hard Way.

Obama, Abortion & Young Evangelicals