Sometimes You Still Must Take Off Your Shoes

Is nothing sacred?

For most all of my life I have distinguished between the sacred and the secular. A couple of years ago we did a series called God at Work and I realized that I had been compartmentalizing my life. I had God compartments, and then compartments that were God-less or secular. After listening to some Michael Frost, I decided to try and start seeing God at Work.

I began looking for God in the secular as well as the sacred. And I found that He is there. (No surprise for most of you, but for someone who lived in an evangelical bubble this was a wake up call.)

I was amazed to see the beauty of God outside of the sanctuary. To realize that he could be present in a song by U2 or Coldplay just as much as a song by Tomlin or United. To realize that changing oil could be just as valuable to the kingdom as preaching a Sunday Sermon.

And while I think I'm getting better at seeing God in the secular, it's passages like this one from Ezekiel that remind me that just because God is in the secular it does not mean that He is common.


Ezekiel 44:23 They shall teach my people the difference between the holy and the common, and show them how to distinguish between the unclean and the clean.


There are still times we must take off our shoes.

Comments

Cainan & Ryker said…
I agree. The FWBs don't foster this belief, I don't think. I have another Baptist friend (yeah, just one) who summed it up by saying, "We were taught that secular means sinful...and that isn't always so."

Popular posts from this blog

Music Tuesday - 2 Free Album Giveaways

Just Making Memories or Ear Piercing--The Hard Way.

Obama, Abortion & Young Evangelicals