What is Good?

Tonight I was privileged to hear Terry Forest speak at the Free Will Baptist Thursday Night Seminar. He did a good job of honestly presenting a scriptural approach to the form of worship. I didn't agree with every conclusion he made, but his main points were well taken. When spending time in corporate worship, the overriding concern should be "What does God expect?" What is good?

Worship is about pleasing God, not about pleasing ourselves. I think chapter 6 of Micah has something to say about this...
7 Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams,
with ten thousand rivers of oil?
Shall I offer my firstborn for my transgression,
the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?

8 He has showed you, O man, what is good.
And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God.

So what does God expect? A beautiful hymn? A fabulous show? A great band? Good Lighting? Great stage presence? Lots of illustrations? Nice flow? A huge offering? And on and on...

This is what God expects, this is what is good -

Act Justly,

Love Mercy,

Walk Humbly with your God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music Tuesday - 2 Free Album Giveaways

Just Making Memories or Ear Piercing--The Hard Way.

Obama, Abortion & Young Evangelicals