Me and More Me.

Why is it that God's word just hits you right in the stomach sometimes. The passage I'm reading in my devotions has already been used by God in my life to draw me close to him. It's some of the most practical advice for pleasing God that is given in all the scriptures.
Romans 12:9 Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 10 Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. 11 Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. 12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13 Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality. 14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. 16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited. 17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. 18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 19 Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay,"says the Lord. 20 On the contrary: "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head." 21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

When I was in college God used this very passage to break me and bring Revival to my own soul. It has always been precious to me. But this morning as I read it, I reflect on some words from the message yesterday from Phillipians 2:3
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.

I'm reminded of my greatest weakness. The love of myself above God and above others. It's my constant battle. I DO want to love God above all things. I DO want to love my neighbor as myself. I pray almost daily that my children will love God more than anything else. But it's amazing how ambition and pride, and sometimes just plain pity can creep in.

Lord, please help me to honor others above myself. Please let it start within my own family and help me to truly lose sight of everything else but the Hallowing of Your Name and the Glory of Your Kingdom. I'm fighting, but I've got to have your help.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music Tuesday - 2 Free Album Giveaways

Just Making Memories or Ear Piercing--The Hard Way.

Help Me Please!