Cursed Hanging

I found an interesting passage in today's reading. I thought I had some incredible insight, then I realized that the apostle Paul had beaten me to it. This passage pictures the death of Christ.

Here's the verse...
Deuteronomy 21:22 “And if a man has committed a crime punishable by death and he is put to death, and you hang him on a tree, 23 his body shall not remain all night on the tree, but you shall bury him the same day, for a hanged man is cursed by God. You shall not defile your land that the Lord your God is giving you for an inheritance.

And here's Paul's take on it...
Galatians 3:13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree." 14 He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit.

Thank you Jesus, for being cursed for us. Thank you for giving us the promise of the Spirit and redeeming us by your sacrifice.

Comments

Christina said…
Wow! I was just reading that passage in Galatians earlier this week. I looked at the verse in Deuteronomy as well (it was referenced in the comments section of my Bible). I love how this reference to Christ is "buried" in Deuteronomy amongst all of these other seemingly tedious laws. Foreshadowings of Christ are truly everywhere in the Old Testament!

Popular posts from this blog

Music Tuesday - 2 Free Album Giveaways

Just Making Memories or Ear Piercing--The Hard Way.

Help Me Please!