Bursting Brawn

Today I noticed something that I had never seen before from God's word...
2 Samuel 5:19 And the Lord said to David, “Go up, for I will certainly give the Philistines into your hand.” 20 And David came to Baal-perazim, and David defeated them there. And he said, “The Lord has burst through my enemies before me like a bursting flood.” Therefore the name of that place is called Baal-perazim.

The "bursting brawn" of God is shown as he defeats the Philistines. It is exciting when God uses His power to tear down your enemies.

2 Samuel 6:5 And David and all the house of Israel were making merry before the Lord, with songs and lyres and harps and tambourines and castanets and cymbals. 6 And when they came to the threshing floor of Nacon, Uzzah put out his hand to the ark of God and took hold of it, for the oxen stumbled. 7 And the anger of the Lord was kindled against Uzzah, and God struck him down there because of his error, and he died there beside the ark of God. 8 And David was angry because the Lord had burst forth against Uzzah. And that place is called Perez-uzzah, to this day.

The same God who bursts forth for us, sometimes bursts forth against us when we disobey. The same bursting power that had been used to defeat the Philistines also struck down Uzzah. Notice the root "perez" in Baal-perazim and Perez-uzzah. The Lord's power is worthy of our respect at all times.

Lord, I've always had a hard time understanding why You struck down Uzzah, when he was trying to preserve Your ark. Help me to trust Your power no matter what the circumstances.

Comments

Jeff Myers said…
Travis, we must be on the same reading track, because this is all the same stuff I've been reading lately. I'm actaully reading through the Bible in chronological order, so there are Psalms thrown into the mix from time to time. Good comments!
Jeff
Unknown said…
Jeff, I'm reading the ESV feed. I have really enjoyed it this year. I noticed earlier in the week, that your posts were covering the same general area of scripture too.

I love reading your devotional posts as well. Keep 'em coming.

Popular posts from this blog

Music Tuesday - 2 Free Album Giveaways

Just Making Memories or Ear Piercing--The Hard Way.

Help Me Please!