Ordinary Work

Do any of you take a sabbath rest?

I was really convicted when I read the Desiring God Minister's Accountability Survey. I've heard Rob Bell takes a day of rest. I've heard some of my friend's state that they have a "day off" each week. Then lo and behold, my reading yesterday is dealing with Sabbath.

I've not really made a habit of taking a day off, but I do take days off from time to time. I try to let Fridays be "fun days" - basically on those days I try to spend time doing the things I really enjoy - so maybe that is my Sabbath. But often I end up doing other things as well. To be honest, it's hard to distinguish my "days off" from my "days on." I try to do what I love to do as often as I can. I love to play music. I love to read God's word. I love to work with computers and websites and blogs. I love to read blogs. I love to be part of Bible Studies. I love to help people. I love to be with my kids and my wife. I try to enjoy all of these things as much as I can. I guess you could say that I actually enjoy my job!

In my reading it speaks of not doing ordinary work on the Sabbath that is connected with Passover.
Leviticus 23:7 On the first day you shall have a holy convocation; you shall not do any ordinary work. 8 But you shall present a food offering to the Lord for seven days. On the seventh day is a holy convocation; you shall not do any ordinary work.
So what exactly does a modern day Sabbath rest look like? If you don't do ordinary work on your Sabbath does that mean you only do extraordinary work on it? Does it mean that you spend time resting on that day? Is it a day where you just do the hobbies you enjoy? Is it a day of worship and reflection?

Here are a few links you might be interested in...
I'd love to hear your take on this conversation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music Tuesday - 2 Free Album Giveaways

Just Making Memories or Ear Piercing--The Hard Way.

Obama, Abortion & Young Evangelicals